Thread: Status Natives
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 AM

My ancestors hunted with a bow and arrow, stole horses, and raided the neighbors incessantly. They were Irishmen and Scots and definitely not nobles. Won't even get into what the 'eastern' in-laws were into.

That's a good point about the .300 win. Nobody had them 500 years ago.

In my opinion, FN folks pretty much hunt for the same reason as everyone else nowadays (except in some remote instances), To enjoy the outdoors and hold onto some of their heritage. As long as it is not abused (ie. overharvested,wasted meat or trafficking wildlife) I got no problems if they don't need a tag. If that was negotiated 150 years ago so that we could all drink double mocha lattes, budweiser beer, and drive big 4X4's then so be it. The fast is that there are not that many of them (per capita) that even bother to hunt and that is sad.

Lot of times where I've walked out to the road and struck up the conversation around hunting and game population with other hunters. Its always the same.....used be 100's of critters here until that bunch of FN guys with the reefer truck (usually sask plates....maybe on a black dually??) showed up here. You can also insert wolves into that conversation...only they don't have the reefer truck. It's comical because usually I have a gutted moose, deer, etc laying a mile back or hanging in camp. Some folks just need to learn how to hunt and quit worrying about what the other guy has.

Happy Hunting and be safe out there.