Thread: Status Natives
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Mb-MBR, to your first point, I find it hard to believe that even you think it would be self regulated responsibly without any type of accountability. It wouldn't, and it would have nothing to do with my 3%.

Who says it wouldn't be regulated or self regulated???? The provinces and the feds have all kinds of regulation for commercial enterprise

To your second point, sure you do it because it's your right and maybe you only take your share, but I have seen first hand a reefer truck with three elk laying on the road and I could not count how many were already loaded but I could see it was more than three, and there was only two of them there. I don't know their story, I just know there was a lot more there than two huge families could eat in a year.

I've seen the same but not from Rights hunters, what's the point?

To your third point, the crown wouldn't stir the pot unless there was gross negligence, not worth their time to pursue any actions.

The provinces are vested with the responsibility of managing the natural resources as identified under the NRTA. This includes the ability to infringe on Treaty and Aboriginal Rights. You mean to tell me, the Alberta government would let your deer, elk, moose, and other wildlife expire into extinction without acting???? That would be gross mismanagement. Maybe the state of the big game population is not as bad as you think it is if the big game managers within the Alberta government do not see the need to take any action. By law they have to.
To your fourth point, like I said, you yourself said it isn't about the killing, taking all legal species that a white man is allowed to take can fill your freezer for the year, there is plenty of things to learn outdoors in the wild other than killing. The problem on the reserves are a product of the reserve. 10% of the Canadian population is responsible for 35% of the prison population. This is not because of their race, it's because they are given too much, spoiled if you will. The ones who work for all they have aren't the ones in prison.

You should do some research on the highlighted portion of your post.

For your fifth point, all outdoorsmen have a vested interest in our outdoors, not just ones with treaty rights, it's something that has been passed down to me and I am currently passing it on to my sons. And you are totally wrong about native outfitters, I WORK FOR ONE!

I didn't say all outdoorsmen didn't have a vested interest in the resource, Its great that you work for a "native" outfitter, I bet you don't see him out there running around killing everything he sees, right? Probably not because he HAS A VESTED INTEREST in the resource, its more valuable to him alive and to allow others pay him good cash to do so.

From your posts I can't help but think you feel you have more rights to Canada than I should have, and don't think it's right for you to have any restrictions placed on you. With great power comes great responsibility, (Spider-Man) but not everyone has the self control.

I don't think I said I had more rights to Canada that but if you feel that I do, there's nothing I can do to convince you otherwise.

I'm only making a point that you can have your cake and eat it too, I'd just like to see changes to help preserve our hunting bounties and privledges. I don't want your rights taken away, just fairly updated.
As I said if previously, if the crown felt the resources were in danger of extinction they have all the powers granted and available to them RIGHT NOW to take the necessary action, even the ability to restrict, curtail, eliminate all Indian hunting for that species.

For example, in Alberta, if I am not mistaken, if a First Nation person wanted to set a net, he/she would have to get a permit, right or wrong?????? You will have to tell me, this is my understanding. So it is happening for fish, I think.