View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Here's the thing though... there is no universally accepted definition for something called "fair chase". It's a man-made artificial concept that is understood differently from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, situation to situation, and hunter to hunter. It's not fair chase in your view if I use my dog to find and flush a deer, but it is fine (I'm assuming here) if I use my dog to find and flush a pheasant on the same land at the same time of year.

As I said before, some jurisdiction choose to bring in rules that are reflective of long-standing local tradition, or simply what the regulator at the time thinks is appropriate. Doesn't make it right or wrong. But we often treat the rules we grow up with as absolutes and are aghast when someone suggests something like dogs, bait, or night hunting, etc etc, things that are common in other jurisdictions. And w can probably do some things here in Alberta that aren't allowed in other jurisdictions.
Yup. Who decides what fair chase is? Kinda like a traditional bow hunter telling someone with a scoped magnum that he's not doing it fair chase.