View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
I believe it was from people wanting a food fish from their home country in local waters. While they're closely related to goldfish, I don't believe anyone would have had a Prussian carp as a pet.
That's not accurate of the Prussian carp.

You are confusing Prussian Carp with Asian carp - two completely different species originating from two different areas of the world.

Asian people were bringing Asian Carp in to eat in both Canada and the US and they were most likely introduced into waterways (likely on purpose) by many who wanted to raise and rear them for food - and, of course, they were able to get into other watersheds, quickly spreading out of control, and creating the massive mess these invasives are causing.

The Prussian carp comes from a different part of the world and there is no evidence they were brought here for food or as pets. I have not heard what the source of the original introduction was - and I'm not sure we definitively know at this point.

Also, although they are of the same family of fish (Carp) a small 1 oz pet store goldfish doesn't mutate into a 3 lb Prussian carp (unless you live near a nuclear power plant maybe ..lol)