View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 12:25 PM

This is a great story, glad your father was found in great shape., I can only guess , your dad was probably wondering why the helicopter was fly so close to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I just activated mine last week before canoe season gets going. Have some back country routes picked out and am planning to build a portage trail~1 mile to the next lakes.
Didn’t read the fine print
Here’s why
Scenario 1: I’m hurt but ok , twisted ankle or something but have fire food and shelter, that call goes to the friends on my list for rescue

Scenario 2: impaled by small stump or branch when I fall in the portage trail, significant injury , that’s an SOS, money won’t matter.

As to who pays? “tax Payers” or me personally I’ll worry about it after.
I’m thinking the individual will pay a hefty price but not the true cost of the rescue

It’s a good question you pose.
Any real life experience with rescue on here?

My Pop was rescued about 5 years ago in Newfoundland, on the rabbit trail and the weather closed in bringing darkness sooner. He was crossing a big bog and when he reached the other side he couldn’t find the trail. With 75 years of bush experience He decided to make a lean- to And stay the night. Fire and tea and a few biscuits... of course none of us knew that.

He didn’t have such a device to check in, NaN waited till 2 hours after dark before calling my dad. A dozen people from the community and a few from the cottage area started searching. A few more hours and the RCMP show up.
About 2:00 am everyone was Quite worried Now, he was diabetic And had a heart attack 15 years prior.
Search and rescue chopper shows up and as they described it “ found a man enjoying his tea in the most comfortable shelter I’ve ever seen”
Being a lumber jack for 40 years had taught him a few things. 😉

Long story short... he did not pay for anything, but he did not initiate the rescue request, the RCMP did...