View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I just activated mine last week before canoe season gets going. Have some back country routes picked out and am planning to build a portage trail~1 mile to the next lakes.
Didn’t read the fine print
Here’s why
Scenario 1: I’m hurt but ok , twisted ankle or something but have fire food and shelter, that call goes to the friends on my list for rescue

Scenario 2: impaled by small stump or branch when I fall in the portage trail, significant injury , that’s an SOS, money won’t matter.

As to who pays? “tax Payers” or me personally I’ll worry about it after.
I’m thinking the individual will pay a hefty price but not the true cost of the rescue

It’s a good question you pose.
Any real life experience with rescue on here?

My Pop was rescued about 5 years ago in Newfoundland, on the rabbit trail and the weather closed in bringing darkness sooner. He was crossing a big bog and when he reached the other side he couldn’t find the trail. With 75 years of bush experience He decided to make a lean- to And stay the night. Fire and tea and a few biscuits... of course none of us knew that.

He didn’t have such a device to check in, NaN waited till 2 hours after dark before calling my dad. A dozen people from the community and a few from the cottage area started searching. A few more hours and the RCMP show up.
About 2:00 am everyone was Quite worried Now, he was diabetic And had a heart attack 15 years prior.
Search and rescue chopper shows up and as they described it “ found a man enjoying his tea in the most comfortable shelter I’ve ever seen”
Being a lumber jack for 40 years had taught him a few things. 😉

Long story short... he did not pay for anything, but he did not initiate the rescue request, the RCMP did...
My unit did your Pops Mission.

To my knowledge, any mission carried out by a RCAF asset is prepaid by tax payers, no extra charges to anyone. Doesn't matter your colour, religion, nationality, age, bank account etc etc, RCC says go, chopper goes! Crew doesnt carry a debit/credit card reader! We prolly go to just as many foreign ships as Canadian.

I use a SPOT, gen1. Always good coverage in "Tracking Mode". Fortunately I have never used the "SOS" function! Last year the unit (103 SAR - "Outcasts") carried out 4 - 5 missions to spot type locators, I say spot type as the tasking usually comes in as a response to locator type beacon with Lat and Long.
Last year unit was tasked to an aircraft crash in Labrador. Survivor was able to text additional info regarding medical condition of his partner via device. I am not sure if it was a spot, in reach etc
Subscription $$ to these devices are not cheap but for the cost of 3 or 4 24s of beer I pay up. Ive seen too much chit in this business....dont want to be that guy!