Thread: Binoculars
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Not sure that this is the right area, but looking for some help with a new pair of binos... I looked through the rack at cabelas the other day, from $100-4000 and found a nice pair of nikons that I liked (monarch 7 10x42)

Couple things I want some feedback on:

1- is a 10x42 about the perfect setup? This will be my first set of what I would consider expensive ($650 ish). Or is the 50mm objective really worth the size and weight?

2- Anyone with Nikon experience care to testify to their good/bad points? And is it worth having a set that good/expensive?

A good friend of mine has the swaros in 10x42 and they are amazing, but I can not bring myself to spend $3500 on a pair of binos haha.

Let's discuss...
1. I would not consider 10X binos the perfect setup - I think 8X take this. 10X are nice, but I find it hard (and quickly frustrating) to freehold 10X for any length of time without getting dizzy, disoriented. If I was using a tripod for my binos (which I don't) this may help. If having one set, I'd chose 8x42.

2. I've never owned a pair of Nikon, but experience on this forum says that many have and plenty of good feedback occurs on them (both for rifle scopes and binos). Regardless of the cost I'd still want to do some side by side comparisons at a big box store near closing time to get their low light capabilities.

They don't get big by being dumb.