View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 oz Bucktail View Post
There is/are an amazing trout fishery(ies) in Alberta, well above what some would call mediocre where fish over 30 inches are common and no stocking or aeration is required.

What are these magical spaces that I speak of you say?

They are our western streams, creeks and rivers, where at the proper time and location any fisherperson (gear or fly) can tie into the badest mofo of the eastern slopes. Yup the bull trout.

Oh wait bulls are char and not trout. I gues my argument falls.
Ummmmm... I don't want to burst your bubble there 1/2 oz, but have a look at why these streams aren't mediocre:
- bull trout- total Catch and release
- cutties- many of our best waters, like the North Ram, are catch and release.
-browns- many of our best waters, like Prairie creek, are catch and release.

If it wasn't for catch and release, do you think you could still find a bull in Alberta bigger than 30"? Let's not kid ourselves.

Wouldn't the same reasoning work for stillwater fisheries in Alberta as well? Bonk less big fish= catch bigger fish on average.

And yes, you and Chubbdarter bring up good points that a poll on this website might not be totally indicative of the entire fishing population of Alberta. However, I think it's a pretty good sampling. You have elitist fly chuckers, bait huckers, weekend warriors, and probably a few guides that frequent this site. It seems like a pretty diverse sample group. I know if I go onto a flyfishing forum and posted this, the numbers would be even more skewed toward quality over quantity.

You can argue whatever you like about the stats, but I don't think you could argue that with 300 stocked lakes in Alberta with less than 10 of those having regulations that try to promote a quality fishery, that that is fulfilling the demand for quality fisheries in Alberta. 50 stocked lakes with special regs still wouldn't meet the need (or want?) of fishermen in Alberta who want the opportunity to catch big fish in a lake/pond.

I'm actually surprised how many Catch and release votes there are. I voted that way as well but really like the one under 18" option. However, with a one year old that, God willing, will love to fish, I understand those that would prefer to keep 3, which seems to be the next favourite answer.

Those that are voting for keeping 3 or 5, is it fishing with young children that are swaying you that way or do you really like keeping pan-fry sized trout? I really am interested to know the reasoning.

Cheers.