View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You don't need 3 lakes, you only need one that will fit that criteria. Allot of the bigger bodies of water that don't have a winter kill hold big fish. They aren't easy to catch like the smaller ones, but they are there. Maybe you'll catch one once out of a hundred times fishing there but that's what makes it exciting for me. Now if you replace that with knowing that you are going to catch a whopper every cast then, to me anyway, something is lost.

As far as mentioning accessibility, I would class that under "making it easier". If you want big fish then it'll take a little effort. Plan a Spring fishing trip and come up north for a week (assuming that you are down south where I think you are). That's what we do and we have a great time.

I've fished all over Canada and it's no big secret that the best fishing is in bodies of water that don't have easy access and don't have allot of fishing pressure. IMO That's because other anglers don't want to make the extra effort or spend the extra on gas to get to them. If you want to catch bigger fish easier and more often then you have to go out and get them (off of the beaten path) not try to bring the fish to you.
Yes the best fishing is where the access is tough, but that same type of fishing could easily be achieved where access is easy with the proper regulations.

Also, you say that it's better if you only catch a whopper every 100 times out. So right now in the average lake that winter kills the average fish is 10 inches and rarely you get a fish in the 20-24 inch range and that random catch is what makes it exciting. Do you not think it would be exciting to have fishing that average 20 inches on every other cast and then once in a while you pull in a 32 inch monster? Many of our stocked lakes could produce fish like that, why not try and reach the full potential of our fisheries?