View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot View Post
Braun, I'm going to answer your question and hopefully you'll answer mine. I respond to ignorant posts, because they deserve an answer. They deserve to be ridiculed and laughed at.

Now let me ask you a question. Over the past month, I've seen comments such as:

"They all look the same."
"Stereotypes are 90% true." Meaning what? 90% of all Asian anglers are poachers?
"They can't understand me at Timmys!"
"They need to assimilate into OUR country."
"I'm sure they don't have licenses..." X-Ray vision here? Or wait... a group of Asians... clearly no licenses.

Not to mention we had a thread where F&W were being called out continuously against Asians, who weren't poaching and were just out trying to have a fun day.

So Braun, that leads me to my question to you. With all these posts on this forum, how is it that you never say anything regarding these idiotic posts? You don't have the balls to stand up and say/do the right thing, but instead ask me why I do?
I have posted on some of these thread. However I must pick and choose because I generally don't have the time to follow 50 posts a day on a single thread. Also there gets a point where some posts become too frustrating to even bother with. I have seen these threads that you are making reference too and I do recall writing a post about them. I am of the opinion that race is an important part of a description. and quite typically is the first thing stated when giving a description. just like if I was describing a car I would name the color first followed by the make, model. However that doesn't mean I am being racist. Just providing an accurate description. I think people jump way to quickly when someone says they witness and asian poaching. Personally, I see that as a statement of fact. If he were to say....."some slanty eye ****er was keeping everything he caught. figures, wouldn't expect anything else." then yes that is racism.

However, to answer your question about why I don't "stand up" when i see someone post something like that.... Several reasons. 1. A waste of my time to engage in a dirt bag like that because there is no way I am going to magically help him change his mind. 2. because I know that it is only ever going to escalate and just **** me off even more. 3. because I have learned through my law classes that people really need to watch what they say and how they say things on the internet, in-person, on the phone. and finally, I make it a point to never directly engage in this type of thing. just like I wouldn't stick my nose in an argument in a bar. Unfortunately, in this day and age you never know what an individual is capable of. So just like I wouldn't interfere with a gang fight on the street because I personally don't have a desire to be stabbed, I don't typically engage in highly con traversal things such as racism because you never really know what is lurking around.

In regards to F&W being called to false reported information about ethnic groups, I really can't comment on that. I have not been reporting ethnic groups poaching or potentially poaching. In fact, thankfully I have never had to use the RAP line yet. There are some instances where I could have but I opted to talk to the people instead and they actually just didn't fully understand the regs. But if other people are reporting just based on ethnic group, I do not support that however, I cannot really help that situation.

By the way, my comment to you wasn't in regards towards you commenting on the race part but more towards the way you write and some of the very bold statements you commit to in combination with the facts and examples you present. If it wasn't for the tense and the way you write, your positions and statements wouldn't rub me the wrong way so much no matter how much I disagree with them. you are entitled to your opinion and i respect that 100%. but you write as if you spent years doing research on (for example) fishing pressure and poaching in Canada and are on the forefront of said research and find that the fishing pressure in Alberta is no different then that in Ontario. Just an example. however, studies actually prove the exact opposite. but the way you posted is as if your "research" suggests otherwise.

My apologies for coming off as asinine as I did in my first post and I guess I should really exercise more caution to not say anything if I dont have anything nice to say. But from recollection of your posts in past threads..... I am not sure why exactly but they just always seem to rub me the wrong way. I consider myself to be a really nice guy and understanding by nature as I am typically able to see anyone's side of an argument and would rather find a common ground with everyone. As much as I would like to believe everyone could get along, I just think some people just don't. if you have any questions on fishing ever I would be more than helpful to give you any information that will benifit you because i bear no ill will towards you. But when it comes to these kind of "political" or "social" debates, i think we are like oil and water.

Last edited by Braun; 05-30-2011 at 01:39 PM.