View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 12:07 PM

Default Canoeing Up the Bow with Small Outboard

Trying to figure out whether this is feasible or even advisable as an option to fish the Bow. This would mainly be a way to fish the Bow solo. Typically you need two vehicles if you want to drift the Bow (park one at the take out and the other to deliver you to the put in). It's not the greatest setup and basically means solo drifting is impossible (unless someone is kind enough to come pick you up at the end of the day).

My idea is to use either a small short leg 2 hp kicker or a 55 lb thrust minn kota attached to my canoe. Then drive it upstream from the put in for an hour or so and drift back down.

The concern is that the Bow being a shallow river I'll either wreck my prop/leg or won't even be able to use it due to the water levels. The other thought I had is will I even make headway in a canoe with a small motor. The canoe I'm using is nearly flat bottom so it has pretty shallow draft.

Ideally a jet drift boat would be the ticket, but that's not in the budget this year.

Has anyone ever tried what I am suggesting? Is it a terrible idea? I haven't been past fish creek so I'm not even sure what the depth and flow of the lower Bow is like.