View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Banned

I'll chime in here. I've never owned a Montana X2 but I have owned a couple Sako Finnlites and a Kimber Montana, which looks a lot like the Montana X2.

The Finnlite is a nice rifle, top notch fit and finish, smooth bolt and fairly accurate. The stock design sucks and I don't like the plastic. They seem finicky when developing an accurate load.

The Kimber Montana is a really nice rifle imo. Controlled round feed, 3 position safety, accurate, and one of the best stocks on the market in both design and material. The cons I found were too light of contour on the barrel. If I was shooting groups with letting it cool between shots it would always group the first 2 shots in one hole then throw the third off a bit. Not really a big deal if you make the first two shots count, or if your shooting a 400yds or less. The second con I found was when it was new the feed rails had sharp edges from factory machining. A little bit of filing with a diamond edge file and it was smooth as butter.

Personally I can't justify the premium paid for the Sako. I like the Cooper but I've only owned the Cooper Jackson so I can't speak for the Edge.

If it were me I'd probably get a Kimber or the Montana, maybe even the Barrett Fieldcraft, and if you wanted to spend a little more the Cooper. I'm just not into the Finnlite anymore.