View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
cmfic1

Although there are several Bullets to use, I use Barnes X & TSX exclusively for Hunting, in all my Rifles, and if they shoot in "Your" Rifle, then in my eyes there is nothing else to use in the "Controlled expansion" group. Heres a pic of my .338 WM, arguably, the most versatile cartridge, for N. American Game. Out of the 9 or so Hunting Rifles I have, I find myself grabbing this Rifle for probably 80% of my Hunting, whether its for Deer, Moose, Elk or Bear. It just flat out kills 'em Dead!! If I do my part, I know without doubt, the Rifle will hold up its end.

And heres some photos of recovered "X" bullets, shot from that Rifle. They are 210 gr Barnes XBT. from my .338 Win. Mag. The one on the left is a 250gr Nosler Part. for comparison to expanded size. You can easily see 2X Dia.

The one in the middle, was recovered from a 50" Bull Moose from Swan Hills. Shot coming into my calls, at 30 Yards. The hit was in the centre of the Brisket, and recovered under the skin right beside its rear tube. The Moose dropped like it was hit by a freight train....It was!! (recovered weight 203 gr.)

The one on the right was recovered from a Grizzly Bear in the Yukon. The hunter had already shot it 2 times (marginal hits), the Bear holed up in the Alders, we gave him about 1/2 hr. (Was getting dark). We took up the trail, and he busted out the far side of the Alders, when I made it through, he was standing (obviously hurting) at about 250 Yards. I braced against a tree, and let him have it square in the Shoulder. Bullet was recovered under the hide on the far Shoulder.The 'ole Griz dropped like he was hit by a freight train...He was! (recovered weight 208 gr.)

Pics are a little blurry, but you can get the idea.