View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 02:44 PM

I avoid the use of lip grippers whenever possible HOWEVER if the choice is ramming your fingers into the gills and trying to do prolonged surgery (as the fish is repeated dropped or smashing into the boat and all over the floor) to remove a deep hook I will use them to control the fish.

99% of the time I leave the fish in the water and use my pliers to set him free (the grippers aren't used at all). The 1% of the time where the situation warrants it, I will lip grip him and do the surgery over the side of the boat with the fish still in the water. It is rare (almost never) would I lift up a fish heavier than a pound or two using the grippers.

Grippers have their place. They can save the life of a fish .......... if used properly. Unfortunately most people use these tools to hold the fish up for a photo or use them to remove hooks when they really aren't necessary. Others use it because they are scared to touch a fish or don't know how to pick a fish up properly.

I am licenced and certified to have common sense in the use of this dangerous device .... I would guess most anglers are not. If you would like to be licensed and certified send me $20 in cash with a self addressed and stamped envelope I will send you the study guide and test.