View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And that is exactly the point. Too many, way too many, use OHVs irresponsibly. Ripping and tearing through an ephemeral wetland because "it's just a mud hole" is a prime example.

IF, and that is the big one, IF there was a different way to curtail the damage the irresponsible drivers make, I would not be as strong in my feelings. However, the only thing I have heard is "more enforcement".

Do you, or anyone else, have a realistic, workable plan that could ensure we do not get the negative impacts that occur now? I'm not being sarcastic, but I have not heard a workable plan from anyone.

Thanks.
The AOHVA has proposed a plan that is exactly what you're asking for.

http://aohva.com/4-point-plan/

They cannot get any traction with a government that doesn't want to hear it because it does NOT fit their agenda. If the goal is to ban OHVs, then the last thing you want to take hold, and *gasp* actually spend some money funding, is a common sense plan for sustainable OHV use.

These ideas aren't new. There are examples all over the USA and in ON/QC of strategies that work, and have amazing results. Many other OHV groups in AB have also tried to work with government to propose and implement plans that are exactly what you're asking for. There is a will within the OHV community to be proactive and clean up the problems. Unfortunately, there is NOTHING they can do without cooperation and buy-in from government.

It's not OHV groups and the vast majority of OHV users that are the issue, it's the complete lack of will on the part of the government to do anything about the issue other than swing the ban hammer.