View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Default Moray Eel really wanted my Lion fish

I was swimming along, about 6-8ft off the bottom when I felt my fin touch something. I tipped my head down to look towards my feet and came nose to nose with a Moray Eel. That was a bit of a shocker.........I think I might have peed a little bit. The screaming scared it away for a moment, but it came right back, it was very interested in my Lion fish tube. That's good and bad; bad because I want to keep my Lion fish for myself. Good because it means the Eels are starting to learn that they can eat Lion fish. Up until recently, these invasive fish here have had no predators other than people, they will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, and they are prolific breeders. People will never be able to control them, but many people kill them and leave them. The eels have started eating the ones people leave and are learning to kill the lions themselves now. That's a good thing. Anyway, this Eel chased me down 4 times, I was not interested in hurting it, but i did bop it on the nose with my lion tube, and pushed it away with my spear. This spear is quite dull from smashing rocks, so there was no real danger of making holes in the eel.

https://youtu.be/6WaNyIx4aSM

RD