Thread: Blonde Coyote
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I think this one weighed 83 pounds. I caught a number of these large ones west of red deer. The largest was one I shot north of sylvan lake that crawled in it a culvert. I had to crawl in and get it. Made sure it was dead first. It weighed 107 pounds. Showed it to a couple of old boy trappers from the area who figured it was crossed with a wolf. They told me it was not the first one that they had seen in the area.
It’s been proven that wolves will mate with coyotes if they don’t have other wolves to mate with. In fact, the Algonquin Wolf in Ontario is a hybrid of grey wolves, red wolves and coyotes. According to history and DNA, wolves were almost extinct and coyotes made their way east and started breeding with them. The size and colour looks about the same as an Algonquin Wolf.

https://youtu.be/66diqhTMv7k

Could it happen in Alberta? I don’t see why not. A hundred years ago there were no coyotes north of Edmonton here. As the wolves were pushed farther north the territory opened up to coyotes and they made their way up here. Those big coyotes had to have been hybrids of some sort and a coyote/wolf hybrid wouldn’t surprise me at all.