View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Default Duratrac review

I put a set of 285 duratracs on my 3/4 ton about a month ago, I have just over 2000km on them and have used them for a mix of hiway gravel and offroad including 6" of slick snow and mud last weekend coming out of the bush. I bought them because of the siping, e load rating and the decent void space which should make them ok in the mud. Tires like the michelin at's, bfg at's, and the stock offerings have left me disappointed with their offroad and mud traction in the past and durability and wear have not been great either, I have been very happy with two sets of swamper Trxus Mt's I have run in the past with the exception of poor treadlife (never over 50,000km) and thought I would try something else. Silent armours were not on my list to consider, tires I was considering were the Trxus, Mickey T Mud Terrains and the similar Dick Cepeck offering.

The Duratracs seem to be relatively quiet on the highway but are a little squirmy probably due to the deep tread and the tall sidewall on the 285's. On gravel they are fine but expect them to throw more rocks than some due to the big void space, this can be a downer if you are hauling a trailer that you don't want to get full of rocks on gravel. Offroad they have good directional control and the knobby sidewalls seem to help them bite quite abit to get out of ruts. They seem to clog up on the center of the tread a bit but do shed the junk out of the outer lugs to give some bite in the mud. When we left camp on Saturday my hunting partner was sure we were going to need the winch to get out some steep mud slick, snow covered hills and the duratracs made it look easy, the old stockers wouldn't have made it.

I can't comment on milage but they seem to be fairly soft and I would be happy to get 60,000km out of them. Pricing was $1220 for a set of 285/75/16's on the truck tax in.

hope this helps.