Thread: 270 vs 7mm-08
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclund1946 View Post
Yes Chuck. Another of your unfounded accusations based on nothing more than you over inflated opinion of yourself. What ever happened to "Safe in my Rifle; Some barrels are faster than others; That good Nosler/Lapua brass" etc..

If you had bothered to look in the Hodgdon online manual you might have noticed that the max load of 49.5 grains of CFE 223 pushes the 120 BT to 3151fps generating 50,000CUP in a 24" barrel. As the maximum working pressure of the 7mm-08 is 52,000CUP that does leave a bit of room to work with that load before going over safe pressures. The 120 TTSX will likely generate enough extra pressure to get the extra velocity that Rpm5 experienced due to being a solid copper bullet. Or perhaps the Nosler BT slowed down in the last 3 1/2" of the 24" test barrel as can happen. Maybe his Chrony is measuring a bit high? The Hodgdon manual shows that 3100 is easily achieved with Varget in the 7mm08 and I have done it in my 20" barreled Model 7 SS with a "Safe In my Rifle" load. Just because you or someone else hasn't done something doesn't make it impossible.

If you look in the Hodgdon manual you will see that the 270 struggles to do better than that with a 120 grain bullet , even with more powder capacity. To get the 3075 fps with a 130 grin bullet, as Rpm suggested, would be a stretched for the 270. No one is saying that the 7mm-08 is superior to the venerable old 270 but it surely doesn't take a back seat to it in spite of what some people think.

Many years ago a friend of mine tried to tell me that his 7X64 Brenneke was bigger than my 7mm-08 when I suggested that they were very similar with the loads we were running. I asked him what he based that opinion on and he exclaimed that "it had a way bigger case". I reminded him that his pet load was the 145 grain Speer bullet at about 2940 fps and showed him the chronograph results and sub 1/2" target that I had shot with the 145 Grain Speer bullet from my Remington 700V in 7mm08. The load was 0.5 grains over the max load in the Speer manual but quite safe loaded in a neck sized brass, from my rifle, due to the extra 1.5-2 grain case capacity. When he saw that I was pushing the bullet at a bit over 2940 he muttered "I guess you are right".

PS: I didn't se Rpm5's last post as I was writing this post. Wonder how I guessed that he was likely using CFE 223 .
Getting 100 fps more than they are with 4" less barrel? Well done!

-Billy Molls