Thread: 270 vs 7mm-08
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 AM

This is quite a read, but I'll side with Chuck on this one. Yes there are faster rifles, and the reasons can be many I'm sure. The one thing we will all agree on is that the 270 can be driven faster all things being equal, and that the 7-08 is more efficient all things being equal.

For now I prefer the 270 for a hunting cartridge, and that is based on velocity vs recoil. Do I require the extra velocity? No, but my brain says I do, so I make it happy. I can't feel much difference in recoil between either cartridge, and I've owned 4 different 7-08s over the years. I've also never seen one of those rifles shoot a equivalent bullet weight faster then a 270. Most of my loads struggled to make it into the mid 2500's with a 160g in the 7-08. I'm sure I could have done more work with them to find something more efficient.

Bottom line no animal will ever be able to tell the difference with the same shot placement from either cartridge. As said many times already if you reload, and like a short action with something a bit different go 7-08. If you're a velocity ***** (prostitute), and like easy to find ammo, and a long action go 270 for the..........Win. Pun intended.