View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I asked for permission to do the same. Was told it may traumatize kids who have seen bad stuff in their life. Made sense to me.
It might make a bit of sense but how many kids would that be?

There isn't many sadists in the world so far as I know.
On the other hand, how many kids might be traumatized by the sight of a glass full of amber colored fluid? Or a leather belt?

There is no way to know what will traumatize a kid that's been abused. More often then not, that abuse involved every day things we all take for granted,
like a bedroom or a leather belt.

It's admirable that teachers want to protect kids from trauma of any sort but at what point does it make sense to deprive many kids of valuable learning to protect one or two kids who may or may not be traumatized by some everyday thing.

When my oldest was about eight she wanted to spend a couple of days with a friend. Her mother objected saying we didn't know enough about that family, they might do something to hurt our child.

So I sat my child down and told her, if I could I'd protect her from all the bad things in the world I would but the only way to do that was to lock her in a closet for the rest of her life and I couldn't do that to her.
I told her I trusted her to call us if she felt unsafe in any way.

So she went, and today she is an awesome mom of four very impressive grand kids. She is teaching them to stand up for themselves, and others.
And she is teaching them real world skills like butchering and gardening.

She doesn't just do those things when they are around, she gets them involved. The two older grand-kids have jobs now and are very well liked by their bosses and co workers.

That's what teaching real life skills to a kid can do. They gain confidence in themselves and learn that they can stand on their own two feet.

You are in a better position to know what your kids can handle then I am but I do hope you find some way to teach real life skills to the kids under your care.

That might not be butchering, but there is so much a teacher can teach besides reading writing and rithmatic.

I know this, when I left school I had no idea how to find a job, or how to hold a job. I had no idea how to make my money work for me or how to save for things I couldn't pay for at the moment.

A formal education is necessary and good and so are real life skills.

George Bernard Shaw