View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Higher knot strength??? In Power Pro Slick??? That very might well be the slipperiest stuff on the market. GSPs are notorious for knots not holding due to the total lack of line stretch and the slippery property of the material allowing knots to pull apart under tension.

Monos typically have better knot holding properties as the stretch allows the line to snug (dig) itself into the knot when setting (tightening down on) the knot.
I agree with you that knot strength is better as a percentage of breaking strength for mono/fluoro, but that's also the key difference. If you're comparing lines of equivalent diameter and breaking strength, the failure point of the knot in the braid will be much higher. The type of knot used would also be a factor.

I based it on my experience tying simple palomar knots in 10lb braid vs 10lb mono or fluoro. I won't say it's never happened because it probably has, but I can't think of a time I've ever broken a knot, and I'm very certain I've never had one pull loose under tension. I've found the SuperSlick to be the best because it is so soft and pliable and the knots end up being very small. It's not common, but I have had knots break using mono/fluro, especially if the knot wasn't thoroughly wetted before cinching it down.