View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Fordtruckin,

I agree that the 2 speed transmission is not a deal breaker, and I am glad you understand the advantage of the articulating rear rail.

The big problem for us recreational users is that a sled will sit for weeks at a time. It will be out in the cold, with a small battery with little reserve capacity due to the small size.

Electric start is the norm these days, especially with us older guys. If the Sled does not have a pull start, and I do not believe that the 900 Ace does, then its a common experience to have a dead battery or worse, a weak battery that then fails.

For some reason, Arctic Cat is the leader in the solution with a Capacitor Discharge Ignition that does not need a battery. The CDI works with you pulling the starter cord, and winding up a magneto at the same time it turns over the engine. The EFI Fuel pump gets a charge, and the thing starts up and then uses its own power to run the fuel pump for the EFI.
Very Very cool, but apparently discontinued by Arctic Cat.

For the rest of us with no rope start, all that you can do is try and keep a charger on the battery for the long periods between use, and carry one of the new Lithium booster packs with you in case of trouble.

For ice fishing, the secret is not just getting us out there, its getting us back. That is why a rope start backup is so important.

Drewski
Skidoo has the shot start that sounds similar to what your mentioning on the arctic cat but again it’s a mountain sled 2 stroke feature. Not sure why they spend so much on the powder sleds other than they must make the most money off them.

I read a good review on the VK about how it hasn’t really changed in 30 years and compares it to mountain riders who ditch a sled every year for lighter weight more power or some other advancement or a trail rider that ditches a sled for a new shock package etc. They did hit the nail on the head there as most utility sleds are held on too. Again I can’t remember the last time I saw a used utility sled for sale that wasn’t 15+ years old. It just doesn’t happen that often as they are tools not toys.

I’ve also read that you can pull an ACE over with the clutches like you do if the pull start cord breaks but since I don’t have one I obviously don’t know for certain. There’s a few on AO with the ACE engines and they have said they haven’t had any issues with starting in the cold. At dootalk most guys say the 900 starts easier in the cold weather than the 600... again not sure why. I’ve also seen some guys replace the battery for one with a hair more capacity just in case. I suppose a battery tender would work if you have electricity near where you park it on the off days. Again some will some won’t...

I’m not saying the 550 fan is worse than an ACE or the ACE worse than the 550, just different strokes for different folks. Personally I’d take a chance on the ACE and bring a battery boost pack for back up. Many won’t want to, again nothing wrong with that just a different mindset and different needs. Where I would use the sled if on the odd chance it broke down I either have cell service or there are so many sleds out I could flag someone down, worst case I’m walking on snow shoes for a mile or two to a road.