View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 08:52 AM

Many thanks for the intel on the Yamaha. I had read about those issues, but didn't really understand how it might impact me. I definitely hadn't considered that the weight of the sled would grow with the icing from the exhaust, but that seems obvious now. I was also curious about how the power delivery was on these mountain sleds, it sounds like they're hard to drive slow and you kinda need to wring 'em out to enjoy their handling properties. Given I ride a TW200 in the summer I suspect I'm not actually going to be a speed demon on a snowmobile, but it sure sounds nice to have an extra 100hp if it can be moderated with throttle input. Sounds like that might not be the case.

It's tough sledding trying to figure what to go with, I might just have to jump into the market somewhere and figure out first hand what I actually want. Could the Skandic handle some mountain trail work or deep powder? Studying reviews of the Skandic I see criticism for the 20" track being difficult to maneuver and fuel economy. I'm also still a bit off about the 2 stroke. It is convenient to have one less thing to change oil on, but I can sometimes smell those 2 stroke sleds a few hundred meters away when ice fishing. It's not particularly enjoyable and I'd imagine it's real bad at idle.

Outside of the Nytro, any other 4 strokes you'd suggest that don't have adverse properties you described?

Thanks again for your time and input, greatly appreciated.