Thread: The Budget!!
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrandophile View Post
A couple of things:

- I think, as a general policy, we want to encourage capital investment. Why would you risk your money as an investor if you're going to be taxed the same as just working for it as an employee with significantly lower risk profile?

- With this threshold it's going to hit a lot of doctors, lawyers etc. who use professional corps - while this may seem like "taxing the rich", these are people who work for a living, not the Galen Westons of the world.

- This is going to serve as an ad hoc inheritance tax. You may not have over $250,000 of capital gains in life, but your estate may on death.

Regardless of whether this or any of the other budget changes have the desired effect, I'm not in favour of giving this government any more money to spend on filling the country full of "students" and dumping all over the West.
You make it sound like [highlighted] working is just a walk down the garden path. A lot of people work their tails off in all kinds of weather and in pretty crappy conditions, just to make that paycheck. They spend years away from their families and put their health and life at risk in some instances. I personally think people that actually work to make money deserve to keep more of it than the investors that only put their spare cash at risk in the stock market, or buy a rental unit where inflation makes it's value go up tenfold.