View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Question Scope?

Thanks to All, for the comments, suggestions, information, etc, on the BLR. You guys have collectively convinced me to go for the Gusto, and buy my first 'lever' in a BLR-Takedown!

I haven't quite decided on the caliber yet, but I think I've got it narrowed down to either a 30-06 or a 7mmRM. Either one will work just fine ... I'll decide which one I go for in the next week or so.

The tougher decision for me will be; "What size and power range of scope?". I know some folks don't feel it's Kosher to put a scope on a 'lever', but I do a fair amount of open-country hunting ... shooting out to two and three hundred yards. So for me, a scope will be pretty much a 'necessity' ... I'm just not that good of a shot with iron sights out at those ranges.

My concern is that I get a scope of reasonable power range (2.5-8X or 3-10X), but that the scope not be too 'physically' large for a BLR (i.e. out of proportion). So ... a scope with an objective lens of 50mm will probably be out of the question. I'm guessing a scope with an objective lens of 40mm or 36mm would be more suitable for a BLR. Also, such scopes tend not to be quite as long as 50mm objective lens scopes.

Any suggestions on what power range and size of scope would be most suitable for a BLR in a 30-06 or 7mmRM?

TF