View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Which make of bolt action is the most desireable for a sheep rilfe, well that's gonna cause a whole bunch of differing opinions followed by a heap of slagging. I look at it this way, if it works for you, and it shoots for you, then that's the one for you.
As for the quindesential sheep calibre, well if it works for you, and it shoots for you then that's the one for you.
That about sums it up right there.

As for the CRF/PF debate, ya its mainly a DG issue and I agree with Dick that even the best CRF gun can cause a guy problems if you're short-stroking the bolt, and PF guns can feed reliably if the nut behind the trigger does his part.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Win Model 70 action....just something about it that I like. Its a CRF gun, and I like the sturdy action. My current gun is an Rem 700 action, which is PF and it feeds flawlessly and very smoothly.

Biggest thing is finding the gun that fits you, the cartridge that gives you the options that YOU want, and the look, feel, weight, finish of the gun that you want. Personally I'm not a fan of any factory synthetic stocks, other than possibly the ProHunter which is pretty damn cool. For bolt-actions guns for me, a McMillan/Bansner/Wildcat/Rimrock/etc is getting put on any gun. Just a personal choice, but I hate factory synthetics. A blued gun works well and can be cared for fine and dandy, but as a sheep rifle, a stainless or a coated rifle is a must for me. I prefer stainless for all my rifles as well....

Talley rings for me as well.....