View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
There is no irony in pointing out available opportunities, I hear so often...I can't use my crossbow. Why not? The general season allows it and in many places general season for the elk rut in September 17 or 23 start date. It's a CHOICE to not use it. Also in the Strathcona/Leduc season you can hunt till Dec 7, longer than most general seasons. Also moose in those area is on draw where a crossbow can also be used.

For the camp hunt, I am using my bow, but I have borrowed a muzzle loader (just in case) depending on the way the hunt goes. It's a hunt where they want some reduction of population. I did the camp hunt 6 years ago with the rifle and didn't shoot anything, I could have filled all my tags but didn't as I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot.

There is an area set aside for archery only, for the base hunt, I intend on checking it out as pressure will be less than the other areas.

Crossbows and shotguns are not allowed for the primitive weapons season on the base only bow or muzzle loader. I have a feeling the muzzle loader will ride around in the case for the majority of the trip and might make an appearance on the last day depending. I have never used a muzzle loader before and it was offered to me by my taxidermist to try out so I figured why not, maybe it will become my new favourite choice.

I want to make something clear, I am not against rifles (I own double digits of them) I am not against muzzle loaders, not against shotguns, not against general season crossbow use nor crossbow use with a permit. While I am able....I choose to use the bow, it's a personal choice. I don't suggest that using the bow is better than any of the other means, I just personally enjoy the challenges it offers. I have filled the freezer many years with the bow only, that's my choice to do so.

I also spend a significant amount of time shooting a bow and competing in all aspects and genres of compound archery, so it definitely is a passion if not an obsession of mine. There is no crossbows allowed at the ranges or competitions I shoot at for the most part.

I have also stated that heaven forbid I am unable to draw a bow due to injury or disability I will be seeking to get a crossbow permit. I enjoy the areas I hunt in the bow zone they have some special meaning to me, it would be upsetting to abandon them.

I just don't understand why so few who own and support crossbows don't actually use them when and where they can.

LC
You know the point isn't about when and where you can use a crossbow in a general season, it's about a crossbow being legal to use in a archery only seasons or zones. The desire isn't to use a crossbow when more advanced weapons are legal to be used.