View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If you are interested in U.S. states and their laws reagarding crossbows, here is the complete directory.

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/cros...ons/index.html

Not sure I really buy into your trophy whitetail theory gander when the majority of Alberta whitetail seasons include a general tag for a rifle but states do vary widely on their acceptance of crossbows. You might want to rethink the trophy whitetail arguement though....I think there are few other factors at work
Laugh if at simple logic if you care too.In Alberta archery season comes before general season with crossbows increasing hunter pressure and success by providing an easier means of tagging a deer there will therefore be fewer mature bucks during breeding season. In the areas where I hunt there is already an increase in "smaller" fawns(offspring concieved in the second breeding cycle) which would seem to indicate an there are not enough bucks to get the job done the first go around.Furthermore as Alberta is a province blessed with many big game animals to pursue if crossbows are allowed in archery season those drawn for other big game species will fill their tags sooner and thereby create more hunting pressure for whitetails during general season.Secondly many of Alberta's trophy deer come from the famed "bowzones" wmu 212 248.Including crossbows in archery hunting would increase hunter success in these wmus thereby lowering trophy potential.While I agree that there are a lot of factors that come into play in creating trophy deer if a buck does not live past his second year he will never reach his trophy potential this is called the growing to maturity factor if you will.

Last edited by ganderblaster; 04-25-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: missed another spot