Thread: Barbless Hooks
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I'm all for barbless, been using them for quite some time on different species and i haven't noticed any difference in catching. The difference that i like is when i'm removing hooks(much easier and faster with barbless) from fish and myself.

For those who think barbless is a waste of time and doesn't hurt fish any more than a barbed hook...well i say hook yourself with each type of hook, but do it so the barb penetrates through skin...try to remove them and then tell me how each extraction felt

BTW It was a choice for me, way before the law kicked in.

If i can pull out a pike with a tiny barbless fly hook(only been flyfishing for 2 years) i'm pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem with a plug that's loaded to the tits(which i also use, but two trebles at most are good enough for most of my fish).

If I was to eat/keep every fish i catch, then this "barbless law" wouldn't make any sense, since i tend to release most of my catches or they are under limit then it makes perfect sense to put less harm on those we return(since we will be back to catch em when they're "big enough")
I've been practicing catch and release for close to 45 years and have had few if any die because of a hooks barb! If a person wants to go easier on the fish, go baitless.