Thread: Wild sheep
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Well I guess this part is debatable. The way we are managing the sheep herd has left us consistently short of the management goals. We have few trophy rams left over post season since we harvest the majority of trophy rams each season as the surveys consistently show. So far I haven't seen any answers to improve the situation. Basically your answer is that "we don't have a problem." We should be satisfied with no legal rams left over post rut, poor ram survival for the remainder. I get that no one wants to change how we do things and the reasons, both resident sheep hunters and sheep outfitters. I don't think that we are doing the herd any favours by ignoring the goals of the management plan or denying the importance of them. Head in the sand seems to be the current thinking from most involved in this issue.
So now your calling a barely legal Ram a trophy, I thought you called a full curl 10 1/2 + yr. old a trophy. I like to go out in the spring and snoop around and I've seen quite a few older rams over the years that have made it through the previous hunting season.