View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ya I find that hard to believe....a jig with a pinched barb in the lip out of say 10 feet of water brought to the side of the boat one twist of the pliers and released or even a quick belly grab and a quick pic then drop in.....can't see any harm especially death of that fish....now maybe a deep Gil hook?.....or just over tha last few weeks I have killed a lot of walleye cuz I am probably averaging in the 30's each outing........now there is 20 boats out.....boys are having a hey day....lake will be done in a few months....nope...sorry not buying into that one.
Read the whole link and there is a lot of factors that effect survival rate and % of death. 1 in 10 is plausible in some cases but it can be much lower or higher. Done with care my opinion survival rate is high but the % of anglers who put in the effort is much lower than what many might think. Lots of studies out there and lots of different mortality rates

Truth of the matter is C&R has a greater impact then anglers would like to admit. There is a reason why in BC once you retain your one legal steelhead you must stop fishing

Fish can be tough as nails or extremely frail but