View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 AM

i think you should focus more on the glass then comes the rifle... i don't know if you're planning on shooting targets extensively or just sighting in, hunting, and the odd day you want to hit the range....
if your main purpose is hunting, then as i said focus most of your budget towards the scope.... most (not all) rifles bought new (be it $300 or $3000) would hunt with you for several seasons before you face problems.... there's of course more accurate rifles, more durable rifles, more beautiful rifles, higher grade metal/wood rifles...etc...
if i'm spending $1G on the rifle only (not the scope) i'd go with CZ, tikka, or remington 700... again that's me... i'm sure there are many others who'd go with brownings, or anything else...
scopes... zeiss are great... leupolds VX3s and bushnells 4200s and up are excellent... i own zeiss & bushnells, but looked through leupolds and like them a lot as well...

take your time... we're still 8 to 10 months away from rifle season, depending on where you are... go to the store as many times as you need... look at guns, mount them and see how they feel/fit, read about them... ask...

good luck