View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Default Been there, won't return

A few years ago I bought a truck camper of a similar vintage with plans to fix it up. I spent most of a summer changing pretty much every system on the unit. I did the work myself as I'm fairly handy and had enough spare time. Most parts were hard to find so many things needed to be replaced entirely rather than just fixed up (a 3 way fridge is quite a bit more money than one you would put in your house and fixing them is a waste of money by the way). In the end I did resell it and might have broke even on the parts I put in, the labour (a few hundred hours) was a loss...it was also really tough to unload it as most people avoid older units despite the good condition.

Unless this thing is pristine and fully up to snuff mechanically I'd steer clear, Shop rates for repairs will kill you (some won't touch a unit that old) and in the end you'll be the proud owner of a 30 yr old motorhome that will have an insurance value of say $2000 and would be tough to sell on the open market for any more.

Just my $0.02
Zeke