View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Your assuming now that a crossbow hunter is gonna walk in the woods much like a rifle hunter would, with the Swat senerio. I will assume you have never bowhunted when saying this. The majority Bowhunters hunt out of a tree stand, or blind. they will have to cut and limb out lane ways. Trajectory of crossbow is relatively the same, making me certain that the hunting style is similar. With only a movement of a single finger Dave, a crossbow hunter rested on his treestand rest, that rifle hunters use, will be able to shoot a deer. He will have the benefit of less than 1% movement, and the ability to hold that position for hours, down his lane way. If crossbow legislation ruled that crossbows had to be manually loaded and held by muscular power, I'm sure there would be little or no arguements.
Potty, I was using the scenerio that someone posted as an example of where a crossbow would be an advantage over a compound bow when a bruiser buck walked out in front of you. My point was that crossbow hunters DON'T hunt like SWAT members raiding a house. Do you want to try walking around all day with a crossbow raised and aimed...lol?

I hunt with a crossbow because I don't have the option anymore of drawing a compound bow due to a wonky shoulder. I don't hunt any differently than when I hunted with a compound bow, from a treestand for deer and on the ground for moose.

I walk to my treestand with my crossbow unloaded over my shoulder and pull it up a string unloaded. Once in my stand I load a bolt and rest my crossbow on my lap. I could hang it on a foot peg like a compound bow if I wanted to but I don't like the idea of having to make extra movements. I do have to move more than just my finger to take a shot at a deer though.

As far as trajectory goes, my opinion is that a compound bow's is flatter than a crossbow's AND arrows have better penetration than bolts. Also, bolts lose energy allot faster than arrows. I suppose that it is relative to the draw weights of each but that has been my experience. Perhaps scientific facts may prove me wrong but that is the impression that I have. I'll have to check it out.

Other crossbow hunters may do things differently or have different ideas but that's what I do and think.