View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 AM

Actually this might be a good place to ask. I was looking for some local mills (say between Calgary and Red Deer?) without luck.

Does anybody know of a place?

I know there is one in Strathmore, High River and Vulcan but I am never down there.
I found one in SK that ships and I ordered a bunch of whole grains and Einkorn flour to try. I might go that route if I can't find anything closer. They had the best customer service and I got some extra goodies in the package as well.

I tried the whole rye and sprouted it, ran it through the Kitchenaid meat grinder and added the pulp to the bread. It was a fantastic loaf. Rye flour tends to really sour which we love but this was almost sweet. We love the sour but I was really intrigued by the sweet sprouted grains. A very light and moist loaf.

There is so much to explore in the world of breads and grains. I have also been baking a bunch with yeast just to learn and try out long fermentation (poolish, biga etc.) with commercial yeasts. I can see buying bread in the supermarket anytime soon.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)