View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Default Left and right

Interesting, because I myself am very left-handed and have also sought lefty rifles for years now.

However, she need not necessarily shoot a lefty gun. Any modern bolt action rifle is usually safe to fire and reload, and the bonus of shooting from the left shoulder is that you can SEE into the action as you reload, so you can also see how much ammo you have left! As an example, I now shoot a new righty Savage B17 in .17 HMR - works fine!

Lever-action guns are also great, work fine for left or right, especially lever-action guns that eject out the top, like a Winchester 92 or repros. If you go to Cabela's gun library in Calgary, they have a very nice NEW Browning BLR lever-action deer rifle for less than $800! I'd buy it, but I'm more of a rimfire and shotgun shooter. On the used side, keep a lookout for an old Savage Model 99 - great old steel-and-wood lever gun, perfect for a lefty, prices are reasonable, and thousands of deer have been dropped by them.

Semi-auto self-loading rifles are not so good, because a lot of brass goes whizzing past your face LOL. Some however are made left-handed, such as the .22 cal Savage model 64, which is under $200 new and one great shooter, if you can get over the plastic stock. One clip, she'll get over it! And it's so good for target training Lol...

Break-action single-shots, such as the Ruger No. 1 are great, perfect for either left or right shooters. The No. 1 is a bit pricey, though. I just bought a vintage BSA Martini-action .220 rifle for $700, works fine, kind of a scaled-down Martini action for target shooting. The wood stock is gorgeous, and so is the steel action!

In the shotgun line, if you go that way, have a good look at the Browning BPS shotguns. Excellent shooters, reasonable price, and they eject out the bottom, so no worry about brass whizzing by your nose. The old Ithaca Model 37 shotguns are the same way, plus generally low prices and lots of old-time steel-and-wood cachet.

Anyway, enjoy the "hunt" for lefty rifles. A good place to check out in Calgary is Proline Shooters (www.prolineshooters.com) on 9 Ave SE. Their website has several lefty rifles, and they have a nice selection of used ones in the store.

Also have a look at the guns at
Dante Sports in Montreal (www.dantesports.com/en/)
Reliable Gun in Vancouver (www.reliablegun.com), and
Prophet River Firearms (www.prophetriver.com).

Rick