View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 AM

Hi Beeguy. I would think the concern here is the deliberate placement of these specimens in waterbodies. A dugout caving in is an ecological disaster, which it could be, depending on the contents and volume; whereas terrorism is a deliberate act. As they are unable to fly, several of the new locations are in reservoirs which means they were carried up and over. These carp are now in the foothills of AB throughout the tributaries of the Little Red Deer. They will go upstream on every tributary below Glennifer Lake. Up the Medicine river west of Gull lake.Where does the diversion for Gull come from? From the Blindman, which certainly has these carp. They are likely to go up all creeks up to places like Pine lake and Sylvan lake. I have seen them in a tiny outflow below a reservoir near olds. They are very capable of occupying and eating their way through a great deal of biomass. Personally I am concerned for not only fishes which may have themselves have been introduced, but also native birds reptiles and amphibians.They are generally less adaptable than these carp. These fish are very tall and slender-so piscivores would have some difficulties swallowing them-like swallowing a frisbee. The scales are very large and course, which could lead to difficulty dislodging the fish once the bird has it in the throat. Troller..

Last edited by trainerdave; 09-04-2014 at 07:39 AM.