Thread: Newbie NSR woes
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Newbie NSR woes

Hi,

Im a newbie when it comes to fishing here in Canada (plenty of experience fishing in the UK though, although mainly stillwater) . Ive been here 6 years now, and only this last weekend decided to venture into the river valley to start enjoying the hidden gem most people just take for granted everyday.

Anyway, I have tried 3 spots with no success.

Terwillegar park - didnt realise so many dog owners are happy to let their prized pooches run towards a fisherman while casting.... soon decided to get out of there.

Quesnell Bridge - South side of the river under the bridge around the piers. Tried all sorts of soft bait and crawlers. not a nibble

Whitemud Creek meeting NSR - Tried 2 days in a row , nothing. think i had a few nibbles but no strikes. the ends of my night crawlers kept getting shorter. Tried there again today with minnows. Even guys with 8 yrs fishing knowledge of the area were getting skunked.

So, I just wanted to know what areas are hot right now, and what baits are you using to succeed.

Im thinking of getting some Gulp! Alive! minnows, leeches and night crawlers. My wife doesn't like me keeping bait in the fridge / freezer lol. what are your thoughts on the plastics with attractants ?

Also is a 9ft rod too big for the NSR ? thats what ive got my eye on at cabelas at the moment i find my little 5ft is way too short. that will teach me to buy cheap from walmart again. its way to flexible for casting anything with a decent weight to it.