View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I think his hands are practically tied for the next two years. For 19/20 they have a $6.5M projected cap space but by 20/21 Pouliots and Gryba's buyouts are both off the books and so are Talbot, Manning, Petrovic, Brodziak, Kassian, and Spooner and the projected cap space is $22M. And the year following the projected cap space is $44M. The new guy will need at least 2 to 3 years with next year being a complete right off IMO. I'd essentially trade away anything and everything that doesn't fit in with being competitive in 3 years and, as futile as it likely will be, try to get Panarin and Karlsson, a winger and a Dman that are good and fit the age bracket.
No matter who the GM is as of today, THIS is the reality. It's all too easy to point out the flaws, it's going to be a monumental task to fix them, especially in the short term.

It will take a magician and a lot of luck to make the right moves, and their current prospects/youth are going to have to turn the corner into actual NHL'ers to make them competitive for the next two seasons.

All that being said, I'm so done with the negativity around the Oilers. I can't argue with it, Roenick was far more right than he was wrong, but at this point, it's 100% counterproductive to turning this thing around. A quick read of any sports page or blog in any market, let alone the AO forum, and it's all you see. It's become a massive hate fest pile on. It's toxic. I've been on some teams like this year's Oilers and coached a few, I think I've got a pretty good idea what they're going through. It SUCKS, and believe me, they know it better than anyone. I get it, they're pros, they should be able to handle it, but the fact is, they're human, and the last thing they need is to constantly have it rubbed in their face. If this thing is ever going to get turned around, that "culture" has to change, it has to be a positive environment for them to want to play here, let alone for them to add the pieces they need via trade or free agency. They have time, the core is in place and largely signed, McDavid isn't going anywhere until 2026. I gotta believe they can turn it around.

The Flames guys dropping in to stir the pot and crap on the Oilers is one thing, but Oilers fans are our own worst enemy in so many ways...