View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperdylan View Post
I plan on doing some spring beaver trapping starting this weekend. I was curious how many sets on average you guys run in total? Per colony? I have about 8 locations and I plan to leap frog doing about 4-6 locations at a time and I have a total of 30traps. Probably be a 2week gig.
If the ice is just coming off I’d put 3 or 4 traps near each active lodge. The reason being is that there’s a short window before they start biting each other and their castor starts to empty. If you only trap 4 locations this week and 4 the next, the fur and castor may be less valuable a week from now.

Our ice opened up around the lodges late last week and is disappearing fast. Beaver have been on the banks at all times of day so take a rifle and a means of recovering a beaver from the water. This week it’s been easy to see their trails in and out of the water to feed......still wet by the bank. I have 12 traps out and it’s open enough now to put my last 24 out. I don’t want to deal with more beavers than those will catch in the next week or two.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe. Don’t trust that rotten ice. A beaver isn’t worth dying for.