View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If the ice is just coming off I’d put 3 or 4 traps near each active lodge. The reason being is that there’s a short window before they start biting each other and their castor starts to empty. If you only trap 4 locations this week and 4 the next, the fur and castor may be less valuable a week from now.

Our ice opened up around the lodges late last week and is disappearing fast. Beaver have been on the banks at all times of day so take a rifle and a means of recovering a beaver from the water. This week it’s been easy to see their trails in and out of the water to feed......still wet by the bank. I have 12 traps out and it’s open enough now to put my last 24 out. I don’t want to deal with more beavers than those will catch in the next week or two.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe. Don’t trust that rotten ice. A beaver isn’t worth dying for.
Thanks dave. I am just there strictly for damage control so I am not really stressed about pelt or castor size, there is so many beavers in my area that I dont think I'll ever really make a large impact. Every creek is dam after dam, colony after colony. I'll clean one area out and sure as heck I'll have more from the next colony downstream or a creek over. Last year I was only running 12 traps and I'd have 6beavers plus every day. This year I'd like to hit about 100 ish beaver in maybe 10days and call it good.

Take care and happy trapping