View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 06:31 PM

I've hunted antelope twice, didn't spend a minute scouting either time.

First trip I was guided by a local resident, who had access on all the land as far as you could see.

Right off the hop, other hunters stirred up the antelope, so they were out in the big spaces real early and tough to get close to.
One day we saw a huge herd headed to a waterhole, way out, a mile across this huge valley.

Buddy dropped me off and I ran all the way across there (I had cover most of the way from a strip of trees), then belly crawled the last bit.
I knew a big buck was in the herd and was hoping for a crack at him, but as luck would have it, the big buck lagged.

The leaders in the group watered, then were filtering across the waterhole, right to where my scent was drifting.
So I decided to take a medium size (15") buck, (100 yard shot) and that was my first hunt.

Second time, I went to a huge grazing lease. Slept in the cab of my truck.
Morning the hunt opened, pickups were driving passed my truck and heading on across the prairie.

I just grabbed my gear and headed off on foot into a huge valley.

I just sat there watching the land. A few hours later a huge herd, with a really nice buck came from the north, pushed by other hunters. So they were coming right to me.
I saw a dry creek bed in the bottom and ran down there, then watched for them to come.

They came though like 40 yards from me.

I dropped a near book antelope.

So all those pickups that drove by me, did me a favor by making a simple choice as to where to hunt.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 02-22-2023 at 06:36 PM.