View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 08:19 AM

Make certain it is not your computer. I get nothing but black after an update last fall which seems to be a problem many have experienced with Windows. I tried following a couple of threads on fixing the issue but it is beyond me. I can see the photos fine on an Apple card reader on my phone. The computer recognizes the pics are there and I can see them momentarily in the thumbnail but they turn black when you try to open them. I can email the same pic from my phone and save it with no issues on the same computer.

On the search for the answer to this problem I read some interesting articles on properly formatting the cards and not sharing cards among different cameras. It takes about 10 seconds to do a quick format on most devices but a proper format takes a couple of minutes. Apparently each device writes a small amount of info on the card that may or may not be compatible with another camera. I took a card out of my Olympus digital and it would not work in a trail camera until doing a full format on the computer.

You guys probably know this but to do a proper format you insert the card, go to "my computer" click on the SD Card and a "manage" option will appear on the top column. Click on manage then format. The default is "Quick format" so uncheck that and click enter. Like I mentioned, some cards take a couple of minutes to format whereas a quick format takes only a few seconds but is insufficient sometimes.

Again, this did not solve my problem however if your cards are indeed corrupted it may be a fix for you. Formatting erases the card so all existing pictures will be lost.