View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
there's less diff between the 308 win and 30-06 then the 06 and the 300win mag .. The 308 and 06 is a mere 125 fps diff , some rifles vary that much ... In other words if you wanna use the .308 bullet you are better off with the short 308 win or the 300 mag ... efficient is the word and the 06 was good in its time but it's over .... the 7 rem mag walks all over the 30-06 with any grain ....

I suspect your definition of "walks all over" must be different then most other peoples.

Taking load data from Nosler, both rifles with a 24" tube

Punched into a calculator with a 3" high at 100 yards zero

At 400 yards (a long shot for all but a small minority of hunters) the Rem mag takes a 1.76" advantage on wind drift and 2.35" on drop.
Yikes! Now I see what you must be carrying on about... those new fangled 7mm's sure are an improvement over that outdated, obsolete 30-06. Obviously the wind drift would favor the 7mm with a stronger cross wind but it's not enough to worry about until your shooting way out there.

In all seriousness and without getting into specialized long range rifles, cross sectional area, sectional density, etc. I think the two are fairly equal. I wouldn't sell one to buy the other and I won't be running home to sell any of my 30-06's. In fact, when you do compare the two it's no wonder the old war horse has been getting it done with class for 110 years or why the 7mm always has and will take a back seat to the everyman Springfield.

An argument like this is fairly childish. It doesn't have to be one or the other. They are both very good cartridges for most hunting. Shoot what you want but don't pretend your favorite is superior to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk