View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 11:26 AM

It's happened to all of us at one time or another. Bugled an Elk into a clearing (still too far away to shoot) and he was meandering back and forth and shaking up some brush and responding intermittently. He was, however, slowly making his way into range ..... we would loose sight of him here, he'd pop out there, etc... we were in a "perfect spot" had the point ranged where it was "close enough to shoot" figured out, had the rest set up, we were set to go like we were filming an episode on a cool hunting show. This was going to be a picture perfect hunt .... or so we thought.

At some point I let out a couple more calls to get him moving and heard, literally right behind me, something coming, I turn around and there's another bull, 15 yards above me, who stops, I stand up (won't admit if I had soiled myself at this point) and turns to take off like effectively scaring the $#!t out of every living thing in the valley.

I remember laughing about it nervously as my heart was beating out of my chest for what seemed like hours.

We never saw elk in there the rest of the season.