View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 PM

Dec 19th … up & out early, Whites have been the most active in the shallows about 8:00 am & they didn’t disappoint today. It's still dark out but I got my first on the Yellow/Orange candy cane with a glow bead at 8:05 the second at 8:20 on a Brass W/W with gold bead, it was big, came straight up into the hole & into my bucket, then seen 1-2 more but they were cautious just looking or bumping but not taking it, there were fewer fish moving around than yesterday, still seeing one every 15-20 minutes, finally got my 3rd at 10:30 on the Brass pattern. Yesterday’s hot Orange twist didn’t attract one today. Didn’t see one Walleye but had a small Pike staring at the Orange twist after lunch. Had my camera down about 8 feet behind me, it didn’t bother the Whites & gave me the opportunity to pan my entire area, didn’t help, they disappeared. Move 3 times back into my holes from yesterday over deeper water, didn’t see any, frustrating. Two groups must have been just as frustrated and left at noon, I didn’t see another White until 2:40 pm & it wasn’t interested & kept on going out to the open lake. This morning was foggy with ice crystals then bright & sunny, perhaps the bright day had something to do with it & they all went into deeper water, too much snow to go hunting for them, I quit at 3:00 pm.

Never fished for Whites until we got our condo in Sylvan in 2005. Today got my P/B White, it measured out at just under 20”, used a string to measure the girth at 11 3/8”, it’s nice to see Sylvan can produce quantity but also quality and they’re getting bigger, too. Was surprised to see how healthy she was totally spawned out & lots of stored up fat & full of caddis larva grubs.

I mentioned this a couple of times, I have a fish allergy, can't eat any type of fish, Pike slime is the killer, all the fish I’ve caught over the past 7 days have been cleaned/filleted & given to friends, everyone enjoys a fresh fish dinner. Gave Scott 5 Whites for his smoker. The fillets from this one fish will make a nice meal for the Mrs, with a glass or two of chardonnay.

Tomorrow’s my last day fishin, hopefully it’s a productive one, my season is coming to an end, California dreaming!

A few pic’s …

Cheers

David

One Big One & Two Nice One's

My P/B White <20"

11 3/8” Girth

Brass with Gold Glass Bead #1530 - 10 Hook

Very Healthy Fish

Also Very Hungry Fish.

Nice Big Boneless Fillets