View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I disagree with this opinion, of both proper die adjustment, and probable cause of the OP's problem.

IMHO the OP's head separation problem was most probably caused by adjusting his FL die exactly as marxman does (and most instructions direct).
This adjustment will result in a case sized to SAAMI minimum (or possibly much smaller).
It will allow the resized case to easily chamber in any SAAMI compliant chamber,
but probably with excess headspace that WILL shorten case service life, and may cause head separation, and also require frequent trimming.
(When trimming, always ask yourself, where did the brass you are trimming off come from?)

I suggest a check of the fit of a resized case in your chamber,
then apply layers of tape to the base of the head until the case is too long for the action to close.
A headspace GO gauge can be used similarly to determine actual chamber length, which can be compared with the SAAMI spec.

Many of those desiring maximum reliability of chambering prefer very small case sizes, and are willing to accept lower precision and case life.
Target shooters not so much.

I suggest a forum search on "partial sizing" or "die adjustment" or similar.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Whe i started reloading i got neck size dies and my full length dies i adjusted to the right length but the brass doesnt all behave the same and i got tired of rounds that didnt want to chamber. In 8 chamberings and over a dozen different rifles i reload for since i started sizing down to the shell holder i get pretty good case life and never get head seperations after some neck fails i throw a batch out. The op says he has to size it down that far for it to chamber so if the body taper is landing with the shoulder still too far forward maybe the chamber is out of spec.