View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 PM

At 350 yds many rifle /bullet/combo will get the job done.
I personally prefer 300s magnums for elk and moose with 200 gr bullets.
Nosler would be very good but in mine guns could not shoot them well enough past 400ish yds.
Hot Core from Speer in my point of view is very overlooked bullet. Works both on double lung shoots and also will brake a shoulder as well as Sierra GK .
I took one bull and one cow with Speer in a shoulder and they dropped on the spot but had to finish bull in the neck still .
Those 3 bullets out of my limited experience 8 elk and 4 moose will break only one shoulder not two but will anchor them on the spot if hit there. Through the lungs they might run a bit but not far.
Killed also one bull with 270 wsm with 160 gr partition , that one went through both shoulders at 70 yds, he ran only 30 yds.
Also killed cow elk with 140 gr Barnes TSX at 250 yds , bullet penetrated both shoulders too, dropped on the spot.
With Barnes tsx which I tried in 300 WSM ,270 wsm , 243 win 30-06 if shoulder was not hit, only through the lungs they sometimes might run for quite a bit .I have seen 150 yds , with a pretty good shot .
With the shoulder shot everything from smallish WT up to big bull usually will drop on a spot .
Never killed anything with TSX past 300 yds so can not comment how they perform at longer ranges, I guess though the performance will be getting worse with the distance.