View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
Yes I know the perfect shot thru the lungs .. have seen that , but still gotta ask the question ....
What's your pick ... what's worked for you ... what grain and type ? does it matter ? 338 win mag 225 grain or the 7-08 with a 140 grainer .. SO the elk of a lifetime walks out at say 350 yards .. Are you comfortable shooting your rifle ? and with what ? at any angle ?

Every one has an opinion .. here's mine.

I don't like tracking and I don't like packing any more than I have to so I don't worry too much about making exit holes or leaving blood trails. I use a medium bore ,heavy for caliber bullet at moderate velocity using a well constructed bullet in the Nosler Partition category or a heavy cup&core, as a bit of fragmentation is always a bonus. Shot placement for me is midway up and a few inches forward of the foreleg vertical line. It seems to get the job done every time. That area contains what I call the "junction". A bullet placed in that area usually affects three vitals .. front lung cavity,, a main artery, the spinal column(CNS) and one or two totally disabled shoulders. It is a high bullet resistance area as well which makes it a great place to send a higher velocity mono bullet as well, if one so chooses. Identifying precisely where the shoulder joint (not the Scapula) actually is in various animal stances and positions is a must in this instance.
I have asked three hunters recently where to locate the shoulder joint on a Moose or Elk standing broad side. All three were wrong ,so for some at least, a brief study of animal anatomy may be advisable. As I see it lung shots alone, although easier shots, will kill an animal but where and when it dies is sometimes up to the animal. Just not my idea of a good time.